* a CIA program to open mail to or from selected American citizens
generated 1.5 million names stored in the Agency's computer bank
* intelligence units within the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
created files on over one million Americans.
* the FBI carried out five hundred thousand investigations of so-called
subversives from 1960 to 1974, without a single court conviction
*computers in the National Security Agency (NSA) monitored every cable
sent overseas, or received by Americans from 1947 to 1975.
* Army intelligence units conducted investigations against one hundred
thousand American citizens during the Vietnam War era
* the CIA engaged in drug experiments (the MK/ULTRA Project) against unsuspecting
subjects (two of whom died from side effects)
* at least two foreign leaders were the direct targets of CIA assassination
plots (noe successful)
* letters written anonymously by FBI agents were designed to incite violence
* the FBI CINTELPRO (Counterintelligence Program) targetted civil rights
activists and Vietnam War dissidents, disrupting family and friendship
* the FBI attempted to blackmail civil rights leader Martin Luther King,
Jr., and encouraged him to commit suicide
* the CIA manipulated elections in democratic regimes (Chile was but one
* the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) allowed tax information to be misused
by intelligence agencies for political purposes
* intelligence agencies carried out burgalaries in the homes and offices
of suspected "subversives"
* the CIA infiltrated religious, media, and academic organizations.
From page 26, Eceonomic Covert Actions, here some more quotes:
" . . . attempt thrugh secret means to disrupt the economies of the
U.S. adversaries. In one instance during Kennedy years -- though evidently
without the knowledge of the president -- the CIA tried to spoil Cuban-Soviet
relations by lacing sugar bound from Havan to Moscow with an unpalatable,
though harmless chemical substance. A Whitehouse aide caught wind of the
operation and informed the president. Kennedy rejected the plan and quickly
had the 14,125 bags of sugar confiscated before they were shipped to the
Soviet Union." Ref. 1.
On the same page 26:
" Another economic operations used by the CIA (and, no doubt -- as
with al of these operations -- the KGB) against other countries reportedly
have included: counterfeiting foreign currencies; depressing the world
price of agricultural products vital to adversaries in the devloping world
(especially those with one-crop economies); trying to control the rainfall
over enemy terrotory by cloud seeding; preparing parasites for the destruction
of foreign crops; contaminating oil supplies (as in North Vietnam during
the 1960s); diluting pesticides bound for hostile nations; dynamiting
electrical power lines and oil-storage tanks; and mining harbors to discourage
commercial shipping (as occurred in Nicaragua during the Reagan years."
1. Tom Wicker et al., "C.I.A. Operations: A Plot Scuttled,"
New York Times, April 28, 191966, p.1.
2. Interview of Prof. Johnson with former CIA officials, Washington, DC,
October 1980 and July 1984, and Boston,
February 1988; on CIA covert actions in Nicaragua, see Woodward, "The
Secret Wars of the CIA,"
pp. 174,276,28,and 430. See also the Washington Post, January 9, 1977,
for a claim that the CIA may have been
involved in the spreading of a swine virus in Cuba during 1971.
3. Back Issues of Covert Action
Quarterly Magazine, Washington, DC (use Google.com to look for its
4. Back issues of Soldier of Fortune Magazine.
5. The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists www.thebulletin.org.
6. Federation of American Scientists www.fas.org.
The above information is just a tip of the iceberg. The big "Question"
to ponder and soul searching is: "With all these capabilities on
record, what is left there in the COVERT world that our tax dollars provided
by law-abiding citizens to these agencies in a "Democratic Society"
cannot do or achieve at home or abroad?"
As-Salam-o-Aliakum! Unfortunately in this age of 24 hour entertainment,
the feelings of most humans have been numbed by subjecting them to VIOLENCE
on the TV. Very few people remember thae events of the past forty years
involving tremendous transgressions of the Intelligence Community, Three
Indepent inquiries were conducted to uncover these horrendous acts in
the name of "National Security." These were known as the Rockefeller
Commission Report, Senate Intelligence Committe headed by late Senator
Frank Church of Idah a.k.a. Church Committee Report, and Congressional
Intelligence Committee headed by NY Congressman Otis Pike pr Pike Committee
Here is a summarry of their findings that Professor Loch K. Johnson, described
in his book: "America's Secret Power - The CIA in a Democratic Society,"
page 5, Oxford University Press, New York, NY 1989. The people with conscience
must look back and learn lessons from such events to stop the history
being repeated and to jeopardize the WORLD PEACE, including our own contry,
Here are the direct quotations from page 5 of the above mentioned book:
Bashir A. Syed
Member: Union of Concerned Scientists